Comprehensive Orthodontic Treatment for Adults
Comprehensive orthodontic treatment for adults may involve braces on the top and/or bottom teeth or Invisalign® clear aligners. Many of our patients are surprised to learn that it is never too late to have orthodontics and the smile that you have always wanted.
In adults where the growth of the jaw is already complete, the purpose of orthodontic treatment is to place the teeth into their correct positions for an optimal bite, to optimise smile and facial aesthetics and to establish proper jaw function.
- Improved self-confidence associated with a more attractive smile.
- Improved function and comfort associated with a proper bite.
- Ideal alignment to improve ability to clean the teeth.
- Less stress / strain on jaw joints (TMJs) and facial muscles.
- Improved distribution of forces on the teeth which leads to less abnormal wear of tooth surfaces.
- Position the teeth to optimize other dental treatments (e.g. implants, bridges, veneers, etc).
Adult orthodontics is often associated with other forms of dental treatment where the optimal outcome goals cannot be achieved with one treatment alone. Examples include periodontics (gum treatment), crown and bridge, implants, veneers and oral surgery.
Correction of severe bite problems can be beyond the scope of orthodontics alone and jaw surgery may be recommended to achieve a more optimal result.
Typically, adult treatment is longer than that of the teen patient as the teeth and supporting jaws are less mouldable. Despite this, the majority of adult treatments take twenty-four months or less.
Although treatment usually takes 18 months or so, there are many instances when we can provide beautiful results and achieve your objectives in a much shorter time frame, typically 6 to 9 months. This can be achieved when the changes required are relatively minor, or we tailor our treatment to achieve your specific goals, for instance beautifully aligned upper front teeth.
We cater for the desire for privacy with our adult patients by offering private consultation rooms. Additionally, a range of aesthetic alternatives to braces are offered where suitable.